26 Free Summer Audiobooks

Summer is coming, and for me that means more reading!

I really slack on my reading during the school year, and I guess since I'm less productive in the summer, it just feels more satisfying to take a minute to read than to watch Netflix or scroll Instagram. I used to get in trouble as a kid for sneaking huge stacks of books under my covers to read after bedtime. My mom said she would feel so bad for telling me to stop reading and go to bed. I kept up my love of reading over the years, but really slacked off at times. I go through spurts where I burn through books quickly, and then lulls again where I "can't find the time". Throughout all these times, one thing helped me make sure I was always reading, audiobooks!

I used to worry that audio books didn't count as reading,

and in case you're like me, you couldn't be more wrong. I was listening to a lot of podcasts and realized if I could focus enough to listen to them, that I could easily listen to a book. I have a very active toddler and it is difficult to sit down and immerse myself in a book sometimes. It absolutely counts if you spend several hours listening to an audiobook. Some books are even better as audiobooks than books. I have found that content I find boring to read, I love listening to on audio. Or sometimes older books that I couldn't get through, were much more enjoyable when being read to me. 

The magazine AudioFile hosts a program every summer called SYNC.

This program is to encourage teens to read over the summer, and even help them find a love of reading or just a love of audiobooks. 

This is from their website

"What is SYNC?
What?

SYNC is a free summer audiobook program for teens 13+. Returning April 25, 2019, SYNC will give away two complete audiobook downloads a week - pairs of high interest titles, based on weekly themes.   In 2018, 26 titles were given away over 13 weeks.

Why?

SYNC introduces a variety of audiobook experiences to teens to demonstrate that reading can be completed by listening.

**This is in no way an ad or anything, I just heard about this from a book-loving podcast, and had to share it with anyone else who might be interested in some free books!**

What do I need to do to start listening to free audiobooks?

All you need is a smart device (a tablet, a computer, a phone, an iPod, etc.) that can download the OverDrive app! Once you download the book, it is yours to keep! That's hundreds of dollars worth of audiobooks you get to keep forever, for free! It's hard for me to turn down anything free, especially a book. 

You simply go to the AudioFile website and click on the books on your device to start the download. If you already have the OverDrive app, the book will automatically be added to it when you open the download. If you don't have the OverDrive app, you'll simply need to make an account and download it (I didn't have it, and it is super easy and free!).

Once you have your books downloaded, you can listen to them on any device by signing into the app. Pretty cool and easy, right?


Each week, two books are hand-picked on various topics and genres.

Anne Bogel of the WSIRN podcast called this a "mini-book flight". Similar to sampling beverages, these books were paired intentionally to go together each week, so you will find similarities within each week. Whether that is similar authors, genres, topics, full-ensemble recordings, or narrator, these books were put together for good reason.

If a week, or a book, doesn't sound your style, you don't have to download them! Again, the goal is to get teens interested in books, so they tried to find something for everyone. I found that by downloading books I didn't even think I would like, I found new interests and loves! 

Here are this summer's picks for each week:

Week One : April 25 - May 2: 
Blink & Caution 
Swing

Week Two : May 2 - May 9
Othello 
You

Week Three : May 9 - May 16
The Epic Crush of Genie Lo
Shadow of the Fox

Week Four : May 16 - May 23
Spill
Meet the Sky

Week Five : May 23 - May 30
A Night Divided
Tear Down This Wall: a City, a President, and the Speech that Ended the Cold War

Week Six: May 30 - June 6
The First Time She Drowned
Wild Bird

Week Seven : June 6 - June 13
A Girl Like That
An Enemy of the People

Week Eight: June 13 - June 20
The Golden Day
Gulp

Week Nine: June 20 - June 27
Astray
Olivia Twist

Week Ten : June 27 - July 4
Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass
Heretics Anonymous 

Week Eleven : July 4 - July 11
The Name of the Star
The Canterville Ghost

Week Twelve : July 11 - July 18
Becoming Kareem
Vincent and Theo

Week Thirteen : July 18 - July 25
The Go-Between
Kids of Appetite 

Week Fourteen : July 25 - August 1
Akata Witch
All the Crooked Saints

Unfortunately, I was late to discover this awesome resource.

So, alas, the first three weeks are no longer available. I'm so sorry, I hope you can forgive me. There are still plenty more titles left to listen to, however! Just make sure you download the title from the website within the listed dates and it is yours forever!


I hope this excites you as much as it did me! 

As long as this program is a hit, the books will continue to get bigger and better each year, and more publishers and sponsors will get involved.

So enjoy your summer filled with listening and impress your friends with how many books you "read" over the summer. Maybe you'll find a new favorite! Happy listening! ðŸ“šðŸŽ§

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But for the weekend? We were young again.

DIY Accent Wall (Under 5 dollars!)

How to be Hospitable Hosts