How to be Hospitable Hosts

We recently hosted some guests in our home,

that's what inspired me to finish my accent wall. Sadly, I didn't have the wall finished by the time they stayed. I did however make sure they felt comfortable and at home. So this blog post is going to be a easy little guide on how to make any guests in your home feel welcome. I'll have them saying "Wow, is this an Airbnb?" (Which I'll have you know my guests said while they were here 😂 )

I have stayed places before where I felt unsure and uncomfortable, I wanted to make sure that anyone staying with us felt like it was their second home as long as they were there. I love having people stay with us and I am such a people-pleaser. A lot of these ideas are super easy, but make such an impact on the people who see them.

We can call these steps the A, B, C's of being a great host.

Step 1: (A)dd Personality

When staying somewhere, it feels so much home-ier and cozy when there are personal touches that make it unique. Providing things specific to the guests make them feel special and loved. No one wants to stay in an empty room with a mattress or feel like they are in a hospital or cell.

Decorate with personal photos and art that makes guests feel like they are staying in a home instead of a hotel. We have art painted by my sister-in-law above the bed to provide some balance for our lack of a headboard. I painted some simple water colors I displayed on a table. We also have family photos scattered about the room. Place a plant or plants in the room, a simple plant can do wonders for a room and give it so much life. Place books you love around the room for guests to browse or read when they have time. We have a bookshelf in our guest bedroom and we put a lot of our favorite books in there so guests can find some new ones to add to their read list, or even borrow one!




Make a welcome sign that you can change to make it feel personal and specific to each guest staying with you, so nothing feels generic. This is so simple, and so nice. You can make one with anything, chalkboard, white board, writing on a glass frame, etc. You can take chalk paint to just about anything (they have spray paint now even) to make it a chalkboard and change the names as needed. Or you can put a plain piece of paper in a simple frame and write on the glass with a dry erase marker. I happened to have a practice lettering pad I bought for work in the dollar spot and just tacked it to the wall. It adds a simple, fun touch to the room.


Step 1: (B)e Attentive

The goal of being attentive when hosting is be so attentive that you don't even have to interact with one another. What I mean by that is, I hope they don't have to ask me for anything because I have made sure they have everything they need before arriving. There is nothing wrong with having to ask for something, I can't supply everything, but I like to make them feel like I thought of them before they came. This is where it is okay to channel a hotel or hospital. 




I am such a sucker for travel size toiletries and I placed a ton that I had in a basket with a little sign. This is like a "things you might have forgotten to pack" basket. Some things that are good to include in this basket would be: 

  • tampons/pads
  • body wash/bar soap
  • shampoo/conditioner
  • hand lotion/body lotion
  • hair ties/bobby pins
  • dry shampoo/hair spray
  • deodorant/body spray
  • tooth brushes/toothpaste
  • tissues/baby wipes
That is not to say you need all these things, I don't have all those in my basket, they are just ideas. You can pretty much walk through the travel isle, impulse sections and see things to add. I also go through and think of things I forget when traveling.


I put a sign with our wi-fi password on a shelf or a chair so they can see and sign in without having to ask, and honestly so I don't have to remember it either. I also place fresh towels and washcloths in a chair in their room as well as on hooks in the bathroom so they aren't panicking in the shower if they forgot it.



Step 3: (C)omfort is Key

Everyone wants to feel comfortable where they are staying. Comfort can mean a lot of different things. Some comfort is out of your control, such as the softness of furniture or the size of the space. There are many things that are in your control: cleanliness, comfort options, lighting, and temperature.

Providing choice and option is a great way to easily make guests feel more comfortable. Provide a cozy nook or seating area somewhere other than the bed, provide extra blankets, provide a fan for white noise or to cool the room, provide multiple pillows so they can choose their level of comfort. Everyone is very different, so providing choice allows the guests to make themselves as comfortable as they like.




A room doesn't have to be spick and span to be ready for guests, but it should be clean and tidy. There is a difference. For example, we put some clothes in our guest closet to dry as well as our suitcases and other bags. When we have guests, I simply move these items into Townes' closet while they are here so they have a clean space to put all their things. I make sure to wash the sheets, blankets, and pillow covers as soon as guests leave so that when new guests arrive I know they have already been cleaned. Making sure there is no junk or cluttered piles in a room relieves so much stress of whoever sees it (whether that is me or the guests). 




Bad lighting is a problem that is very easily fixed with lamps and additional lighting. Our guest bedroom doesn't have the best overhead light, but it has amazing natural light that floods in through the window. I placed a lamp by a cozy chair in the room which can be used pointed downward for more direct light, or upward to illuminate the whole room. This lamp is perfect for this room so it be used however they need. 




Lastly, we keep extra blankets and a fan in the room to cater to anyone. Some people stay cold, while others stay hot. We keep our house on the cool side and provide plenty of blankets if needed, because a fan can only do so much. I have stayed places that were too hot and I was miserable. I feel a good rule of thumb is to keep it just cooler than average and provide accommodations if they are cold.

I try to think of everything our guests might need,

but honestly you can never predict or afford anything. The point is just to make your guests feel at home, happy, and want to come back! They don't need a big cushy room with fancy decorations and a flat-screen tv. Add personality, Be attentive, and make sure they're Comfortable! And a little piece of candy on the pillow doesn't hurt! 😉

Pineapples are symbols of "welcome" in the South and represents qualities we appreciate in our home - friendship, hospitality and warmth. Even after you get your space as perfect as you want it, the most important part of having guests is showing them kindness and grace. I love the late night conversations, the laughing around the table, the coffee and carpools, and the fellowship of having others in our home. It makes our house feel warmer, cozy, and full of love. Come stay sometime! 🍍


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But for the weekend? We were young again.

DIY Accent Wall (Under 5 dollars!)