August is Fleeing

Wow, it has been a hot minute!

I said I was going to try to post every other day and that was a wee bit too ambitious. I think I am going to have to cut it back to once a week. I know, I know. You're crying. You're lost. You don't know what you'll do. It will be OK. I promise.

But really though, I didn't want to try to post every other day if it was boring and I was just scraping for something to talk about. Also, it has been hard to sit down at all between work, getting settled in our new house, and a babe. So I will write one post a week that is interesting and not a lot of posts that are boring and mundane. Well, they'll probably be boring regardless. Not much is going on, ha. I will try to make it seem NOT boring though.

This guy helps.


I have been reading a ton lately.

Reading used to be my favorite past time, then I didn't have the focus, now I'm working on building my focus back. It helps me get used to not constantly looking at my phone, which I can be bad with sometimes, and feel more enriched instead. That sounds super cheesy I know, but scrolling mindlessly through Instagram doesn't feel as good as a chapter of a book. This in turn helps me to stop looking at my phone as much when I'm with other people because I'm just more used to not looking at it. 



I went with Townes today to get a library card at our local library. It is WAY smaller than our old library so I will definitely still go to both, but it was fun to go and look around with him. He loves books already, and I hope it stays that way. I plan on putting some lengthier book reviews on here at the end of the month on all the books I've read. I love talking books and sharing books, so it should be fun. I'm hoping to read 50 books by next August. (since I started back up in August.)

I have also been listening to an awesome book podcast called 'What Should I Read Next' with Anne Bogel. She is an amazing book-person who I could listen to all day. She also has an awesome book blog with book lists and recommendations for days: https://modernmrsdarcy.com/

That is where I get most of my TBR (to be read) books on my book list.

It's growing daily. 

August has been a crazy month,

with moving, work starting back, running Townes around. I'm really appreciating the quiet still moments I have. With Benjamin, this often comes in the form of cooking/eating/watching. He cooks most of the time, but sometimes allows me to help. We had an amazing pizza the other night that was too pretty not to share. (But not to pretty to not eat!)


It was so simple and easy that I did it alone the next night on a tortilla shell, and it was delicious! We buy these ready-to-go crusts from the grocery store that look a lot like pie crust or pastry (which I guess it kind of is) and it says BISTRO PIZZA on it. It is so yummy. We just add whatever toppings we like and we both have our own pizza.

We opted for peppers, cheese, pepperoni, spinach, and sausage for Benjamin.
It's been like our go-to grub lately. We have a few of those, go-to dishes that are super easy and delish that I will have to share. 

After we are done, we usually sit down and watch a movie or a tv show after putting Townes to bed. We just finished Cougar Town on Hulu. If you haven't seen it then go watch it, so good. In these moments though, we both get to rest and recharge our minds from the day and just be. I talk a lot. Benjamin, does not. So I also enjoy the moments where we can sit beside one another and not say much but just be. The normalcy is so comforting.

We're finally starting to get settled in,

I finally unpacked all of our clothes and shoes, organized our closet, unpacked all our bathroom stuff, and pulled out my candles.

Ben's dad came over and helped me hang up 3 measly pictures, ha! (I could have done it myself, strong, independent woman and all that, I just have no tools.) It already started making it look more home-y in here. I need some more things on the walls, and some more surfaces/shelving to add more decor. It is a slow process, but fun. 

My best friend Nikki was a little angel and bought us a house-plant, a planter, and some adorable towels for the kitchen.

Too cute.
The plant was too big for the planter, so I am waiting to buy a cute pot for it. I showed my mom the cute planter and told her since the house-plant didn't fit, I planned to put some cute succulents in it. Guess who showed up at my door with dirt and succulents? My mom is too sweet. So now I have plants in my house! I have a HUGE fern (I have no idea how it's gotten that big) that I would love to hang in the house (if I can just convince my husband). Mom also brought me an on-sale plant, a.k.a. almost dead. So I'm trying my hand at reviving an on-it's-death-bed plant as well. My grandmothers are both amazing gardeners and I've always idolized their gardens, I hope I can grow like they do one day.

Thanks Nikki and Mom!

August has absolutely flown by,

and I could not be more excited about fall/winter! My favorite months are yet to come! I hope we actually get a long fall, and a chilling winter this year with lots of snow! Cold weather with no snow is no fun, plus I have a son who I would love to play with in the snow. With it getting closer, however, I am getting my notorious, "seasons are changing" head cold. It never fails.

So, hopefully I'm back to posting regularly, once a week. I'll bring with me good eats, good books, good laughs, good watches, and fun baby updates. I hope you have had a beautiful August. 

My 3 favorite moments of this week:

Moment 1: Planting my plants.
Cleaning the air and making houses cuter!

Moment 2: Getting a library card / finishing an amazing book (Dark Matter) in 3 days.
More on that book and why I need to read it, later. 

Moment 3: Hearing Townes learn to say "bath", "keys", "car", and more. 
He also gives me lots of laughs every day. He has recently discovered his tongue as seen in that first picture and it has made for some pretty cute faces. He randomly reaches up to hold hands now which smashes my heart into a million pieces, and he waves in the cutest way by twisting his wrist back and forth. He carries the phone around up to his ear and just talks away. He listens SO WELL (90% of the time) and we can't help but laugh when he's being mischievous. I always say how fun it is to watch him grow, but its unlike anything else.

Baby's first selfie.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

But for the weekend? We were young again.

DIY Accent Wall (Under 5 dollars!)

How to be Hospitable Hosts